Monday, March 9, 2015

Screamo

Lately I've been listening to a couple stations on iTunes Radio that include some screamo bands. Probably much to the demise of my mother, I see some appeal to the genre.

I don't know that I actually enjoy the screaming, but there is something cathartic about the tension that builds up until it finally resolves with a melody. To me, it is similar to the dissonance and resolution in jazz songs (yes, I just compared screamo to jazz). It also mirrors the ups and downs that life brings us. There are grating, scarring, painful lows, then soaring, melodic highs.


6 comments:

Josh Hansen said...

I'm completely unacquainted with screamo, but I'm always open to trying new music. Any recommendations for where to start?

Gabe said...

I also don't know much about screamo, and the stuff that I refer to as such, is probably pretty tame. Part of the problem with getting a decent Pandora/iTunes station is that you can run into some explicit lyrics. But this is a decent example of what I'm talking about. I don't know Hawthorne Heights really, but I just tried to find an example of what I was talking about. In general I've always liked the energy, tempo, and sound of emo. But here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgrMMGUA77c

Keith said...

I have no idea if this fits with the type of music you are describing, but this video has been a big part of my life in the past few days: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SZTCckf2-V8

Dianey Face said...

Reminds me of that song you introduced me to, Gabe, back in the day: Which to Bury, us or the Hatchet. I don't think they were screaming really, but it was super angry and then ended melodic.

Gabe said...

Diane, I just went back and listened to that song since I had forgotten about it! Good times (hanging out and talking, not the relationship drama)...

Gabe said...

Keith, I have nothing to say in response to that video.