Friday, August 21, 2009

PRK

I guess I never really blogged about this, but since I've read plenty of other people's experience online, I might as well add to the wealth of experiences.

I got PRK on my left eye which was -1.75. My right eye is 20/20, but not great (possibly because I cut the cornea with a knife as a kid). My left eye was 20/100. But since my right eye was good enough, I usually didn't wear glasses. So, this meant I just dealt with blurry vision out of one eye because I could get by.

Knowing that I wouldn't have the money to get the procedure in dental school, that Barney had gotten it done, and that if something bad happened to my eyesight in the procedure at least I hadn't taken any loans out for dental school yet and could switch career paths, I decided to get the procedure done before dental school. My surgery was on July 16. It was quick and painless. The day after was also painless. Days 2, 3, and 4 had some pain but nothing debilitating. It wasn't bad because I could close one eye and leave the other open. It would have been awful had I gotten both eyes done.

My vision was better the day of the surgery, and then a few days later started to get worse. I had some serious ghosting going on which is just when you see a double image because of the astigmatism formed as your eye's epithelium heals back. Although this was normal, I was a little worried because I had this ghosting until about 4 or 4.5 weeks after the surgery. It was annoying seeing multiple copies of text. In fact it was sometimes very difficult to read. It also was annoying to see bright lights in multiples. Most people online seemed only to have ghosting for 3ish weeks, although some had it a lot longer. Reading about people's experience online is a little scary because of who gets on. When I was having trouble with my vision I read forums for hours about PRK experiences. However, now that my vision is pretty good, I don't read them at all. So, basically, the people that are posting in forums about PRK are doing so because they are having issues with their vision after the procedure. It makes the online accounts of PRK and any other medical procedure very biased.

So, my vision really started clearing up after I stopped taking the Omipred (steroid drops). I'm not sure if there was a connection or if my eye just was healing. I think it still has a little bit of improvement yet to be realized because I can see a bit of ghosting still, but I can't complain. I am seeing better in my left eye than my right. So I'm getting 20/20, if not better. It's nice.

I didn't mention it, but I got my procedure at Hoopes Vision in Sandy, Utah. They have a lot of experience, the surgeons are rated in the top 10 by Forbes, and they have what seems to be a nice selection of equipment. However, I'm not completely wowed by them. I feel like they've dragged their feet a bit in setting up my comanaged care out here in Pittsburgh. They also are a little salesish with their pricing, but they did match the price of $1,725 for my eye when I mentioned I had a friend that got it done at that price. So, yeah, I would recommend them because I think they do a good job with the procedure which is what's important, but they are still a business so don't let them jerk you around. Overall, I'm really glad I got it done. It is nice to be able to see crisply and not worry about glasses or a contact being needed to see the board.

Anyway, if you have any questions, feel free to comment.

2 comments:

I See Badgers said...

sweet deal. Thanks for keeping us in the know.

-eric

shan1420 said...

I'm glad you didn't go blind like adam, poor guy.