Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Pittsburgh's way of handling problems

I was driving on 376 yesterday on my way to Aldi's and I drove under this bridge. The bridge had these big concrete spanning support arches underneath. But the arches were wrapped in this heavy-duty netting. Upon further inspection I noticed that there were big chunks of concrete that had fallen off and were caught from falling on the road by the netting. It seems as though the netting wasn't good enough, or perhaps they were just being cautious, because they also threw up some 20 ft high concrete pillars and a roof on those pillars which now protects the roadway from falling concrete.

I'm not sure which scares me more, the idea of raining concrete on your highway drive, the fact that Pittsburgh's solution to falling concrete was to catch it with a net and then build a roof over the road, or that there is a bridge falling apart above 376.

2 comments:

Ant Quinn said...

I know which bridge you're talking about, but I always thought they had all that up because they were fixing it... I guess they still haven't gotten around to it... speaking of construction, how is the road construction this year? Last year when we moved in it was a nightmare getting anywhere, like IKEA, because traffic was so horrible from construction slow downs.

Josh said...

No, no, you've got it all wrong. The scary part wasn't the highway or the net or the Steelers or anything like that. The scary thing was that you were driving to Aldi, because by so doing you associate yourself with that famous carrier of Aldi bags, Senor Cardgage -- see http://www.hrwiki.org/wiki/Aldi_Bag . Of course, that's only if you actually bought a bag, since last time I was there you still had to pay extra for those....