Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Free money

This post isn't about multilevel marketing, although that does remind me of a thought I had once. Wouldn't it be tragic if the cure for cancer was discovered, but by a multilevel marketing company out in Utah that made superfruit drinks and they patented it before anyone else? I guess it would be the classic case of the boy who cried wolf... or I guess the company that cried miracle drink.

Anyway, yesterday I was thinking in my head over finances to make sure I had enough to pay next month's rent, this month's utilities, and pay off my credit card. I will, but it might be a little tight since I won't get my loan disbursement until mid September. I even ended up putting most of my cart back on the shelves yesyerday when I remembered that Aldi's doesn't take credit cards. Which, by the way, is a lot more difficult than shopping. (PS. Sharon and Ant, have you guys shopped at Aldi's? It is like Costco but not in bulk. There is one near your place!)

But yesterday I got a statement reminder from my one checking account that I don't use anymore. I usually just archive the emails, but I thought for some reason that I should just make sure nothing was charged to my credit card from the same bank which I also don't use anymore. So I logged in and to my surprise I had $220 in my checking account! It was really awesome for the first 10 minutes where I couldn't remember where this money came from. Then it was only kinda awesome when I remembered depositing that money back in June.

But still, I would wholeheartedly recommend depositing a sum of money, forgetting about it, and then remembering it when you need it.

3 comments:

Karianne Salisbury said...

My family loves Aldi's in Virginia...and it's so much fun putting a quarter in for your shopping cart. :)

I have one of the "forgotten accounts." It's actually an online savings account that I very often forget the password to. So I don't reeaaally know how much I have in there. But also, I haven't quite forgotten about it.

Yay for discovering money!!

cindy said...

I love Aldi's. We had it in Indiana, and my mom always shopped there--great for a budget when you have six kids...anyways, my best memories of grocery shopping when I was a kid are of putting the groceries in Aldi's cast away boxes. I don't know why that was so cool to me, but I think it was just fun because it wasn't plastic bags like everywhere else...

shan1420 said...

I love when money appears!! But I hate places that don't take credit card. I can never use a credit card in prague, I hate using cash ....blah...