Thursday, March 5, 2009

If you will...

My teacher just made an announcement about recommending a professor for some reward. He was explaining how even if that professor doesn't get selected, the recommendation stays on file. He said, "So these things have a cumulative effect, if you will."

It was at that moment that I realized that I had no clue what that phrase means, "If you will." It isn't like I would stand up and say, "I won't! I just can't!" Really, what does it mean?

I think it is interesting that we have certain little phrases that don't really mean anything, but we still use them as filler phrases. Sometimes it seems to make our language unique. Other times they just seem like baggage. And yet at other times they make me want to write blog posts.

2 comments:

.:Rhea:. said...

I never thought about that before. It would make sense if he were to say, "Make the recommendation, if you will." Then it could be more unique than just saying "If you will, please make the recommendation." However; the sentence in which he said it sounds like a rhetorical statement of baggage.

Ant Quinn said...

There was a great article about this on NPR about a year ago. It was focused on the phrase, "It is what it is". A phrase that is not used in Utah much, but I've noticed it a lot more since moving to the East. Still don't quite know what people mean by it.