Thursday, December 18, 2008

There is a robot in my apartment!

This morning for some reason I had the urge to satisfy some lingering questions about dishwashers:

- Does the silverware really need to be placed handle-down? Cause I hate touching the top, and if I could put them in handle-up, that would be so much easier.

- What really goes on inside of them?

- Do the dishes need to be oriented around the center or can they all face one way?

- Are dishwashers classified as robots?

Okay, I admit the last one wasn't really a question. I mean, I didn't know it should be a question of mine until I read an article on HowStuffWorks that said, "Basically, a dishwasher is a robot that cleans and rinses dirty dishes." I don't know why, but that really surprised me. I never considered them robots, but now I will. They will now get the respect... or disrespect (considering my usual leeriness of the bunch), that they deserve.

I wasn't really able to find out if the dishes needed to be oriented around the center, but on one of the videos that I watched (yes, there were multiple), the lady loaded them that way. So the verdict is still out on that but I imagine that you should judging from the many videos of the inside of a working dishwasher that I also watched.

I found that it is a little more difficult that you'd think to find good quality video of the inside of a working dishwasher. And once I did, it was a lot less fulfilling than I thought it would be. I don't know what I expected, but I guess I expected a little more action. They are actually quite boring. Of course, none of the videos I watched included soap, and that might give me the added excitement I need to justify searching Youtube for dishwasher videos.

And finally, yes, the silverware needs to be placed handle-down, except for knives which for safety reasons should be handle-up. But that leads me to believe that if knives get clean handle-up, other things could get clean as well in the same orientation. So I think it is fair to say that for "comfort reasons" all handles should be up.

So, that is it. And, I'm pretty sure that my worries about having interesting and productive things to do once I finished finals are quite valid as evidences by this post.

6 comments:

Keith said...

Does this mean that laundry appliances are also robots? What about furnaces and water heaters?

Hmmm.

Bruce said...

I always put the flatware in handle up, and it seems to not be filthy after the robot is done with it. However, our apartment's "dishwasher" is more of a "dishrinser", so we generally pre-clean stuff before putting it in.

.:Rhea:. said...

I definitely recommend placing the silverware in the dishwasher handle up. Nobody wants to touch the germ covered end that's been put in someone's mouth. It always seems to be just as clean as if it were the other way around. And I absolutely HATE it when someone loads a dishwasher with the knife blades up. Idiot! I can't count how many times I've stabbed myself after my mother has loaded the dishwasher.

I See Badgers said...

i always have the silverware with the handles facing up. Good post.

what about the thermostat? That thing makes my furnace turn on and off without my permission and a little too often for comfort. I think the thing wants to bankrupt me. Look into Gabe. You're the only one I know that can.

Peace:)

Gabe said...

Keith,
Very good questions. Most likely is my gut feeling, but I'll keep my eye out for clues.

Hey, we need to catch up this break.

Keith said...

For sure. I'm around until Saturday and will be back next Wednesday (going to Canada again. What's with going north in the winter? How did this happen?)

Anyway let me know what nights (or days) work for you, and we'll do something.