Friday, September 5, 2008

Palin's Speech

I used to think that McCain wouldn't be a bad choice for President. He wouldn't be my first choice, but as a democrat, I thought he seemed fairly mature, progressive, and above the dirty politics of the past.

I just finished watching Governor Palin's speech at the Republican National Convention. It was very disappointing to see that there was little substance in her remarks beyond attacking Obama's resume as a community organizer, repeating trite maxims such as those relying on the reversal of word order ("While some men use change to promote their careers, others, like John McCain, use their careers to promote change"), an overall collection of negative remarks, and a few more statements calculated to mention various buzzwords.

So, while I used to feel that McCain was beyond much of partisan politics (judging from his bipartisan work in the senate), beyond nasty rhetorical attacks (judging from his straight-talk motto), and more mature (judging from his resume as a seasoned senator and prisoner of war), unfortunately I now have to revise my former sentiments.