Thursday, June 12, 2008

Double or nothing

I think I have a gift in life of seeing connections between unrelated things. You know, like drawing analogies to help things become more clear.

Tonight I was having a conversation with someone I had just met and we were joking around. As the general mood of the conversation was that of friendly jests, I lightly made fun of her at one point, being sure to smile so she know I was kidding. However, when I made my comment she said, "Okay, I am actually offended by that." I couldn't tell if she was joking about this too. So I took a risk and called her out on it by saying "No you're not." She told me she really wasn't and continued laughing.

Later I thought of that and remembered the other day when I was thinking about the concept of going "double or nothing" in gambling and how it changes the dynamics of betting. I then realized that essentially, that is what I did in that conversation. I went double or nothing with the currency of socialization. She could have really been serious and been even more offended when I said she wasn't. Luckily, I seemed to have one that bet. I thought it was kind of an interesting parallel though. Maybe you don't.

No comments: