Saturday, March 15, 2008

A bag full of thoughts

When I got on the plane to come back from California last weekend, I was standing in the aisle waiting to be seated when I noticed some loose change in the overhead compartment. I nervously looked around to see if anyone appeared to be the owner, but decided since nothing had been put in that bin yet for this flight, it was my booty. I counted it, $0.77. How much did I pick up? $0.75. I still refuse to pick up pennies. In fact, my reticence in doing so was confirmed a day or two later. I was waking home and some guy crossing the street cut across the sidewalk at a diagonal. He didn't really see me until he was right in front of me. He had bent down to pick up a penny. In a moment that I could only explain as insecurity in the value of his most recent action of stopping, bending over, and picking up $0.01, he said, "Pick up a penny and you'll have good luck all day." He walked on into his apartment building while I thought to myself, "Yeah, if you believe the load the big Penny industry is trying to feed you!"

I've decided that if I don't get married, I would want to bachelor it up with a good friend. So what if people would think I was gay, I don't really care. But really, I think that living alone would be really boring. I'd mention some friends that would be first choice housemates, but I am afraid that doing so would be interpreted as a lack of faith in their marriage abilities. Anyway, I think it would be fun still.

It is kind of amusing that half of my friends think that my heart is broken and the other half know how very well it is doing. Life is incredible right now. I am dating the girl I've liked since I was 14, preparing for the DAT is going well, I have incredible friends, my family lives 10 minutes away, school is going well, I love my calling. There isn't anything more I could ask for. That's a good spot to be in.

5 comments:

Barney Lund said...

You know, that's also a very dangerous spot to be in too, right?

Mary said...

About the pennies. Don't worry Gabe. I don't pick up pennies either. Actually, I usually drop pennies with the intention of making some young child (or excited college student)'s day.

Nate and Julie said...

Way to go on being so content with life...yea, way to go!

Morebadger said...

be wary. Wo unto those that say all is well in zion. I hope that things stay on the up in up with your health, education, family, friends, and with Jo.

Good luck!

Cindy said...

It was fun to see you this morning. Sorry I was all rushed! We'll catch up soon. It was an eventful weekend for me and the week before that was eventful for you!