Sunday, January 20, 2008

Success... even in the traditional sense...

I ordered all my books off Amazon this semester. I got some great deals. There was one though that never came. I waited until yesterday I emailed the seller and said "I have never received your book. Please rectify the situation or I will be forced to leave negative feedback." The next day he refunded my money with a note saying that he was sure he sent my book but is refunding my money anyway in hopes I would hold off of negative feedback till he figured out what happened. Then the next day I got a note from him saying "I have refunded your money. It looks like I did mess up on your order. I have ordered the book in a better condition from another source and am having it sent expedited. I hope this will allow you to avoid giving me negative feedback." Something to that effect anyway. :-) So, yeah. I got my cake and I'm eating it.

I have another story. This is sort of a success story, but it is actually a setback. I went to Cafe Rio yesterday with my gift card from Christmas. After waiting in line for a while I got my salad. I drove home and realized that they didn't include my house dressing. I also didn't have any salad dressing at home. Surprisingly (to me at least) I got really frustrated and mad. It really ticked me off that I had to drive back to Cafe Rio just so I could enjoy my salad. So on the way I called Cafe Rio. Staying on hold for 8 mins didn't help, however, it did give me the chance to decide that even though I wanted to be rude on the phone, it wasn't worth it for either party. So I just told them my situation and Whitney, the manager working at the time, put me on a list to get my next meal free. They also gave me two things of dressing.

Cool right? No. Despite getting the free meal, I was actually really disappointed in myself that I let such a little thing control so much of my mood and emotions. It was ridiculous. However, there is a bright side to this. I realized that I had really been stressed about Jonnie coming home from his mission and about another situation in my life. The dressing was just the catalyst. The fact though that I was so disappointed in myself for getting frustrated is a good sign though. After letting my emotions go like that for those few minutes, it made me realize that I used to be like this a lot more. Little things used to set me off. Just the fact that it seems very out of place that I got that frustrated is a sign that I have made huge progress the last 3 months. What do you think? Am I different? I hope so.

Anyway, I need to redouble my efforts on curbing my unhealthy emotions lately. Today actually, I had some really good thoughts run through my head and I decided that I want to start putting my tips and tricks on my blog. They may not work for everyone but I like the idea of sharing the insights one gains to others. There is actually a site called lifehacker.com that is similar to what I would like to see, but it is more tech based. I will post a couple tips in subsequent posts.

1 comment:

Morebadger said...

good post...and yes it is 5:22 am. I haven't slept yet, but I have been introspective a bit. I found it suprising that my emotions towards one thing or another affect me on such a large scale. Learning where or what caused the affects is interesting and a good test of (i can't think of the word, but it is like...) clarity of self or site, possibly the ability to remove, analyse and change. I think that ability is amazing. sorry for the long comment, but I am up late thinking, so there ya go.