Saturday, January 27, 2007

Could you remind me?

Yesterday someone asked for me to set up an appointment with the bishop. After I gave him a time he proceeded to inquire as to whether I could remind him about it. Caught off guard at the peculiarity of such a request as I always am, I hesitated, not knowing how to respond. Apparently I wasn't aware that my calling involved keeping the both the bishop's schedule and those of the ward members. Thankfully he backed down and reclaimed the responsibility to keep his own schedule.

I think that is a funny request though. Perhaps one should take it as a compliment that people think highly enough of your memory and organizational skills that they would entrust you with reminding them of important events. I usually don't. Often I am left puzzling why they think that I would have any more of a chance of remembering something that they are doing sometime in the near future. Personally I think it is just an attempt at passing the buck. It usually occurs in response to a request to do something by another. In a way it is a sort of sword-fighting parry: "You may ask me to be responsible for this matter, but I will make you responsible for making me remember to be responsible for this matter."

Possible responses I've thought of are, "No," "Yeah... (and then proceed to execute your duty by reminding them then and there)," and "Yeah, but could you remind me to remind you?" Usually I just say "Uhmm..." with a look of incredulity on my face.

1 comment:

J. L. A. said...

two quality entries, Mr. P. You've inspired me to start writing again.